Since conception Double Roasters has been fully committed to a three-step environmental mission statement. To create a culture of not only complying with our legal and regulatory requirements but to be actively pursuing a more sustainable industry.
STEP 1 (Green Coffee)
- To investigate and monitor best practices at origin.
- To build long term partnerships with like minded farms and producers.
- To purchase coffee from Origins in close proximity so as reduce the carbon footprint.
- To support and fund community projects at origin.
STEP 2 (Roasting coffee)
- To invest in equipment that is energy efficient and low emission.
- To reduce, reuse and recycle waste products.
- To educate staff and customers to adopt similar ideals
STEP 3 (Community)
- To engage with the people around us in a beneficial way.
- To support local events, fund raising and community based sports
- To encourage a creative and inclusive community
ACHIEVEMENTS TO DATE
- Double Roasters is currently direct sourcing green coffee allowing us to demand a more efficient and sustainable supply chain.
- Double Roasters is now importing bulk coffees in 1-ton reusable bags. This replaces 32 hessian bags per week.
- We are currently paying a 5c per kilo premium on Our Brazilian coffees; this is funding a community crèche, allowing both parents to earn income on the farm.
- We are currently working on a new project in PNG that will hopefully commence in 2019.
- The IMF 60kg coffee roaster we use for most of production is a highly efficient recirculating system that reduces our gas usage by up to 80%.
- Hessian sacks and Grain pro bags (plastic) are offered to the local community through Facebook groups. We usually have a waiting list, as the sacks are so popular.
- 1-ton bags are reused by our neighbouring businesses for bulk waste removal.
- When possible we supply coffee in reusable food grade drums rather than bags.
- Our coffee capsules are now biodegradable.
- Cardboard boxes and paper products are reused as often as possible.
- Double Roasters has collaborated with local sculptors, street artists, community theatres, recording studios and filmmakers.
- We have partnered with local artisans across many industries, including, brewers, bakers and potters
- We have sponsored and supported Marrickville High School, Marrickville West Primary School, Marrickville Public School and Rainbow Families